Monday, May 4, 2009

Interview with Leigh Baldwin

Leigh Baldwin is the Creative Communications Coordinator for Hickory Grove Baptist Church in Charlotte, NC. She is the manager of all technical staff; marketing and promotions, and all internal and external communications.

Leigh,

What are your tools of the trade (Computer, Monitor, Scanner, Cameras, etc.)?
Final Cut Pro, Adobe Creative Suite, Panasonic DVX 100B.

What is your favorite tool (Plug-in, Software, Equipment, etc.)?
Photoshop and Final Cut.

Favorite Resource(s):
Church Marketing Sucks and MinistryCOM.

Who, what, or where do you get your inspiration?
Author Seth Godin; Hanging out at Barnes and Noble reading creative books. Art Galleries, innovative restaurants and coffee shops. I observe experiences everywhere I go and try to see what makes the experience happen - that is inspirational - it gets my mind going. I also find inspiration meeting with our team.

If you could have one thing what would it be? Why?
I have a lot of support and freedom in my job. There's not much more I could ask for.

What are the primary goals of the church as it relates to your position?
To effectively communicate the gospel through various forms of communications. It is also our job to create programming and worship services that are inviting to the world - creating a comfortable and accepting environment. It is also our job to stay on top of the latest communication trends.

What hindrances do you have to overcome?
Managing perception.

What is your favorite trick or technique and would you consider giving an example?
Technique: encourage, encourage, encourage. Pats on the back, handwritten thank you notes, small gifts of appreciation and a platform for the team to feel comfortable taking calculated risks.

How did you get started in your profession?
God called me out of grad school. If you would have asked me in grad school where I would be in 3 years ministry would not have been the answer. He worked through a local church that I was involved in when I was in grad school. I am forever grateful that he called me here.

Readers can find out more about you by?
Having coffee or emailing leighbaldwin@hgbc.org

No comments: